Saturday, April 22, 2006

Too Much Information


I think there is too much information on the internet. By that, I mean there is too much personal information floating around. From online dating sites to personal pages and blogs, we are simply giving out too much information. We list our address and phone numbers, e-mail address, messenger/chat screen names, physical characteristics, our likes and dislikes, our pets name, our feelings, and our deep dark secrets. This is stuff our family and closest friends don't know about us.

So, what's causing this personal information overload? Could it be that we don't have much of a social life in the real world that we turn to cyberspace? Could it be that we are too difficult to deal with in the real-world that we fish around in the cyber-pond for like minded people? Could it be that we desperately need all the attention we can get and see the internet as another way of seeking more attention? Could some of these people be children who just don't understand what they are doing? The answer is yes to all. And that's very scary! Not the posters, but the people who respond to them.

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE! If you are posting all kinds of information about yourself, whether it be on an online dating service, a personal webpage, or a blog, YOU ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE! THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO PREY ON PEOPLE LIKE YOU! You could become a victim of crimes ranging from identity theft to murder. PLEASE, PLEASE, DON'T MAKE IT EASY FOR THEM! Let's face it, you don't know if the person responding to you is your new best friend/soulmate, a thief, or a serial killer/rapist. So WAKE UP! BE CAREFUL! GenieBelle does care about you and doesn't want you to become another cyber-victim.

Sorry, for the shouting folks, but I had to get message out there. So, what do we wish for people who post too much information? What do we wish for cyber-criminals? How can we help victims? How can we prevent cyber-crimes from happening? GenieBelle wants to know what you think!

Before I leave, I want to thank those who suggested this topic. I may elaborate on it in the future. If you want credit for your suggestions, I am more than happy to list your screen name and a link to your blog. I really do appreciate all of the comments I have received so far. Thank you so much!

Later Y'all!
GenieBelle

10 Comments:

At April 23, 2006, Blogger Tazkwok said...

You have a point, GenieBelle. If you click on my profile, it has my personal information. However, when I started this blog four months ago, it was strictly for school. Anyway, you have some great materials on your blog. Keep up the good work!

 
At April 23, 2006, Anonymous Darnell Clayton said...

I agree with Tazkwok!

Too much personal info is online now-a-days. Although I think you could add one more reason to the list: "lack of accountability."

My reasoning is this: If you do not like someone in cyberspace, you can simply ignore them by marking their message as spam, deleting scraps, etc.

Reality is a little harder to deal with...so people clam up to their "real" friends because it's more risky, while opening up to their online friends because it's "less risky."

Ghetto isn't?

PS

Great post! I featured part of it on my weblog...keep up the great work!

 
At April 23, 2006, Blogger GenieBelle said...

We are fooling ourselves if we think it's less risky. Yes, reality is hard to deal with and a lot of times it's hard to open up to even your closest friends. But opening up to an online stranger is not the way to deal with your problems. Yes you can ignore the annoying messages. But the one that that seems sympathetic and kind may be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Why risk it? I just don't get it.

No it's not ghetto. This happens to all kinds of people from all kinds of places and backgrounds.

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger Green Chameleon said...

Nice to see you again :)

Not only sharing personal info is risky, but also th efact you can be found even WITHOUT sharing it. I am just a lamer, but anyway I am able to "track" IP adresses. However, I have no dangerous intentions LO, I am just curious how many people visit my blog. But can you imagine if one wants to be harmful???

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger Joeb said...

I have to say I agree with that post. It's so true, I have some, but not all personal info on the web.

And yes, you are more than welcome to have a link to my blog from yours :) And if you want me to remove the link to yours then let me know, and I will do so.

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger Daniel Ho said...

That's the whole point of internet, where no one holds any rights to any info and as it is, the beauty of it.

Idealists have hold to the principle and ideals of Information being universal, and the rights of everyone, and no one ought to own those information or knowledge, and the best way to distribute that knowledge is through a medium as huge as the planet -> the Internet :)

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger Kate said...

When I first started my blog, I didnt have any personal info on it (like bday and stuff), but then (a couple of weeks ago) I thought it would be safe to add my bday and where I lived. Well I never put my Last name on there, But Now The only things I have on there are my bday (not the year) my first name and the countrY I live in. Thankyou, your blog (I got it off the blog groups) Really helped to open my eyes.

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger GenieBelle said...

So Daniel, what your saying is that the internet should be one giant directory where every person's personal information should be made available? Do you even realize how dangerous that is? That would be a serial killer's and pedophile's playground! And that is not beautiful to say the least

Personal information is just that, PERSONAL. I decide who gets to see it, and nobody else. So please don't insult me and everybody else by saying nobody ought to own it!

 
At April 24, 2006, Blogger GenieBelle said...

Joeb, you can link to my blog. I don't mind. The more people who read it the better!

 
At April 24, 2006, Anonymous jan said...

You are so right. I can't believe some of the personal stuff I read in people's blogs. I don't even know this much about my friends. And I don't want to. As you say, too much information

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home